Fall. She’s knocking on the door, reminding us of her presence. As the evening tires her breeze weakens and cools. The signs are there. Leaves falling end over end spiralling slowly to the ground to live out its days, the lush greens muted and dampening and the light softening earlier each night. Delicate chill in the air, the canvas of seasons changing. Summer lingers, but autumn’s pulse is on the horizon.
Waiting with arms stretched open. Calling for her return. Still caught in the middle, my love for summer obvious and true but my longing for fall runs deep. Not just for the above reasons but for her beauty stripped down and real. The trees will soon be bare, left absent of the leaves now misplaced below. The aroma of firewood filling the air as the crisp, slightly bitter air fills the windows. It brings the need for layers and warmth, longer walks huddled together and more wholesome meals. And it also means turning on the oven a little more frequently.
Anticipation. Closing our eyes and thinking back to the autumns of our yesteryear and all that it brings. The firewood piled high out back and by the road, the smell of baked goods greeting you at the door, the stillness outside after darkness falls and the basket of apples and pumpkins and hay rides at the local farm. We breathlessly await the calling bell on our favourite season. And all that it brings to us.
We are already dreaming of dinner watching the blue sky fall while sipping on hot soup left to simmer for hours on the stove or fresh hot pie resting on the counter. Warm foods to ease us into the season. To welcome us into the new old. With a cup of tea and a plate of cookies and a view of the constant-changing landscape on display out back. Soon.
I have made my share of goodies on this site but rarely do I delve into cookies. But with the chill in the air and a pot of tea on the stove I couldn’t resist. The perfect balance of sweet and salty. And the sign of better things ahead.
From my kitchen to yours,
Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shaved dark chocolate
- coarse sea salt sprinkled on top (optional)
- Whisk together the brown sugar, sugar and butter until softened. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Add in the vanilla and continue to mix. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt and add into the mixture. Pour in the chocolate chips and shaved chocolate and fold until well distributed.
- Drop tablespoon-sized balls of the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined sheet and top with a dash of coarse sea salt.
- Place the sheet into a pre-heated 325°F oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until the bottom is slightly browned.
- Serve with cold milk.