Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict

by Michael on January 16, 2012 · 27 comments

We are firmly entrenched in January, well on our way through winter’s disposition. The first weeks and months came quietly and softly, a mere shadow of possibility and gloom.  The gelid winters of past all but dismissed as this year crept in without the scars and fury and has continued on that way. So far. It was only this past week when we faced our first snow storm and achingly low temperatures. At last.

These are not the days of our youth. Those days were familiar if not predictable. We knew when one season started and another ended. Days wove easily and transitioned flawlessly. Winter in those days was at times harsh, bold, white and succinct. It came in quickly and left the same way. You always knew you were afoot in winter by the first step outside. And you could dress accordingly.

Not these days.

The first two months of winter came in with an identity crisis, torn and lost and painted with the wardrobe of fall and spring. It teetered between the two most days, starting off as one and finishing the day as the other. And so it went for weeks. We prayed for snow before Christmas and were left disappointed if not acerbic. But finally, it’s arrived. Late but present. The mornings are finally cold and the snow has blanketed the ground. Two sure symptoms that winter is upon us. A painting I’ve been ready for.

I love winter. No, it’s not my favourite. But I do like having four distinct seasons, and in this country they really are such. And I’m glad it’s finally here for that reason. To give us real variety. And that includes our routines. We particularly like bundling up on a cold weekend morning and heading for a walk, each breath billowing up like a cloud. When we return our faces are rosy red and cold and ready for a hot cup of tea or coffee. And I’m ready to make a hot brunch for two. To warm us up.

When I was young my weekend mornings were spent inside a hockey arena or on the neighbouring street playing with my friends. The weather and temperature didn’t hold us back. If anything, it prompted us. If it snowed heavily we would shovel an area on the street and play ball hockey. And we would play for hours. And then, I’d return to a warm house and a hot breakfast. Eggs or french toast. Always. And I’d stay in just long enough to warm back up and then head out again.

Today our weekends aren’t much different, barring an appointment out of town. We head out and enjoy the fresh if not frigid air and then return, fireplace on and stove hard at work. And that’s what we did this past weekend. We spent the first real cold morning out with our dog for a walk. We came home and W got ready for a shoot at home while I made this. I wanted something that reminded me of those breakfasts years before but with a grown up touch.

Eggs Benedict was a special breakfast for me. It wasn’t every weekend that we’d eat it, really only having it on special occasions or the rare trip out for brunch. But it was my favourite breakfast growing up so I try to make it as often as I can these days, usually substituting ingredients from time to time. This time using some smoked salmon we had on hand and some chives we picked up at the market. It was the perfect answer to a cold morning brewing outside and a chance to get back in the kitchen.

The familiar days of winter have returned. I was waiting. And thankfully we  can return to our traditions are routines. Weekend walks with our dog and lengthy escapes to the kitchen.  And brunch.  Time to sit at our table and share food. And escape winter, now that it’s back and at work outside.

From my kitchen to yours,

Michael

For the recipe, click here

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Julie January 16, 2012 at 12:38 am

Beautiful! I’m glad winter is finally here, too.

SMITH BITES January 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

i am one who loves 4 distinct seasons as well . . . this winter has been a see-saw back and forth, warm/cold . . . can’t say that i’m a fan as i’d like a couple of really big snows and then let’s usher in spring thank-you-very-much. as i look out my windows this morning there is a scattering of snow from last week still on the ground but rain is rolling in today . . . lovely pics Mike and a great recipe as well

Brian January 16, 2012 at 8:45 am

I so rarely get eggs benedict when I go out… but when I see smoked salmon on the menu, I can’t resist.

This looks like a marvelous breakfast, my friend!

Susan January 16, 2012 at 11:47 am

I love the photography in this post! Now, as for those luscious eggs … I happened into an awesome Jewish deli/restaurant over the weekend in Brookline, MA called Zaftig’s …and I had Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon and baby spinach on potato latkes (instead of the English muffin). It was a sublime experience … next time you make your traditional Eggs Benedict, maybe you could try Zaftig’s version … I’m tellin’ ya, it was worthy, worthy!

Michael January 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Thank you! I’ve actually made something very similiar to that in the past. But the restaurant sounds lovely!

Maria January 16, 2012 at 12:27 pm

It is snowing here today. What a great recipe for weekend brunch.

Cookin' Canuck January 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I am also a fan of four distinct seasons, each with their own traditions to define it from the next. Sitting down to a plate of these beautiful benedicts is a tradition I’d like to inject into our winter. Lovely, Mike!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul January 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm

It sounds like you guys are having a delayed winter whilst we are having a semi non existent summer! (Mother Nature can be cruel!). Mike, your smoke salmon eggs benedict looks very comforting…I could easily comsume one of those any day of the week!

Michael January 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Mother Nature has definitely been cruel this year. I hope your summer quickly turns around, Peter!

torviewtoronto January 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

delicious breakfast looks wonderful

Lynn January 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Real winter just got to Seattle this weekend, and my dogs and I are enjoying it. Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon is a favorite of mine, and your photos have inspired me to put it on next weekends menu. Thank you!

Michelle January 17, 2012 at 9:12 am

“the fireplace on and the stove hard at work” sounds marvelous, I’ve always wanted to experience 4 seasons and I’m finally going to have the chance :) can’t wait to make hearty dishes like this. Beautiful photography as always.

Jenny Flake January 17, 2012 at 9:12 am

Mike, every single one of your posts are so beautiful. It’s a pleasure checking in! You have a very happy site :)

Michael January 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

Thanks Jenny. And thanks for always checking in.

argone January 17, 2012 at 9:38 am

Great breakfast, I love your words and the pictures too !

LunaCafe January 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Gorgeous photos. Bravo! …Susan

sippitysup January 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Four season. Even we in Los Angeles have four seasons. Each distinct. I swear… GREG

marla January 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm

So many of my favorites in the stunning & cozy meal. Eggs, smoked salmon and that creamy sauce! Think I shall live on this while skiing next month :) FB & pinning now!

Michael January 17, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thanks Marla! Lucky you, skiing!

Shaina January 17, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Truths: My favorite breakfast is eggs benedict. The only thing better than eggs benedict is eggs benedict with smoked salmon. I order it everywhere, including recently in crepe form (with the smoked salmon, of course) in San Francisco. Now I’m coming to your house.

Carrie @ Kiss My Whisk January 17, 2012 at 5:05 pm

This looks so comforting and delicious, can’t wait to give it a try!

Rosie @ Sweetapolita January 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Gorgeousness, Mike. I am also a big 4 season lover. I lived island life for several years, and I remember everyone back home saying how envious they were of full-time summer, and I wanted was my 4 seasons back. Your Eggs Benedict are as beautiful as ever, and I love the egg carton image. Always an escape spending time on your blog, and I hope you are feeling back to 100%. Thanks for sharing!

Michael January 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Thanks Rosie! Island life would be fun, for a while. And then I’d miss fall and winter. The seasons are important.

naomi January 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

I love your smoked salmon version of eggs benedict-so much better than ham.

I am with you, I love season that are distinctly their own. I don’t like the blurred lines or when there’s season confusion. But then again I live in Southern California and seasons here bleed into one another, so I crave distinct seasons. I wish we would to see more heavy weather here for winter-sigh.

Michael January 19, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thanks Naomi! I can only imagine what it’s like in SoCal. Maybe I’d get used to it. Maybe.

{ 2 trackbacks }