Winter is knocking. The first day of spring has officially come and gone and yet the threat of one last winter storm lingers. After celebrating the dawn of a new season with warm air pushing past our faces and the birds regaining their rightful place on the branches of the nearby trees, we’re now left bracing for another snowstorm that threatens to keep us locked inside our homes. Again.
We’ve been playing with the thermostat in our house the last few days, shifting it back and forth from on to off to on like a teeter-totter. And the recipes that drift from the kitchen have turned to lighter fare and away from the foods that have warmed us and kept us company for the last few months. Spring has arrived but for one more day at least I’ll be turning to an old friend.
Comfort food helps us bridge the gap between the end of summer and the beginning of spring and by the time spring plants its feet for good we’ll have new memories etched into the tomorrow of our lives. This dessert is one of those memories that I can draw upon one day when I’m older and unable to cook and stuck inside on a cold winter’s night. One day. Someday.
I have a soft spot for crumbles. They’re easy to prepare and the fruits inside burst with flavour and aroma. They are unmatched in their ability to pull a smile on my face and warm my bones on cold wintery nights. They’re also impossible to put down once you take that first spoonful.
This strawberry & plum crumble answers every question I need answered when the storm is brewing outside. It bubbles with the juices from the strawberries and the softness of the plums dance in my mouth. The topping is savoury and slightly crunchy and balances out the sweetness from the fruit trapped inside.
I enjoy nothing more than coming home after work and escaping to our favourite spot in the house and enjoying this dessert with my wife. Pour a hot drink and make an impression in the cushion and breathe. We soak up the moment and smile knowing we’re warm and safe inside while the fury roars outside. And we indulge. Together.
When the weather outside threatens to play havoc all around you and the freezing rain knocks on your window, the best place to be is inside a warm house with a dessert like this and the one you love. No matter what mother nature brings, you’ll be armed and ready.
From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!
Strawberry & Plum Crumble
- 1 tbsp. icing sugar
- 1 tsp. flour
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 2 plums, pitted and sliced
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place rack in middle.
- Using a medium mixing bowl, add in icing sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add plums and strawberries and mix well. Add mixture to ramekins.
- Combine baking powder, sugar, flour, salt and oats in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add in beaten egg and mix with hands until thoroughly combined. You should be left with bits of mixture that resemble coarse breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the mixture over top of the ramekins and drizzle the melted butter over the crumb mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the juice from the berries has bubbled up the sides.
- Serves 3-4.